What is Spiritual Wellness?
Spiritual wellness may be something you have heard about in passing, equating it to people who feel a connection to another power within a religious organization, but, spiritual wellness is more than that, and if we can use spiritual wellness to help us stay in the present moment in our everyday life we can achieve more than we thought possible.
Today’s article is focused on what spiritual wellness is, how to notice the signs of distress in your life, and what spiritual wellness activities you can do to help realign you and your spiritual health in a proactive and positive way.
If you want to help obtain inner peace through spiritual practice that can help your overall health, then read on to learn more about how spiritual wellness is essential in your life.
What Is The Meaning of Spiritual Wellness?
Before we dive into the background of spiritual wellness, it is important to know that your overall wellness is made up of different components that come together to benefit your life as a whole.
- Physical wellness – eating right and exercising for a healthy body and vitality.
- Emotional health – regulating emotions in a healthy manner.
- Mental health – the connection of chemicals in your brain and attitude toward life.
- Spiritual health – knowledge of your beliefs and values as well as your purpose in life.
All of these combined together make who you are, and if things are off-kilter then there will be issues in your life which will have a huge impact on yourself and those around you.
What is Spiritual Wellness in Daily Life?
Focusing on one of these components for today, spiritual wellness means making time to think about your purpose in life and striving to achieve great mindfulness about your impact on the world.
When you practice spiritual wellness you will be able to see how you can create a better world as well as affect the change that is happening by being someone who puts good things out into the universe helping those that cannot help themselves.
Achieving Greater Mindfulness
By practicing mindfulness you will be able to be a member of the global community. It is about working together to create something better.
This can not be done alone, so it is essential that people work together, whether that is through a faith community or with others who want to work towards a brighter future for everyone.
You understand that you have a connection with people and there is always going to be a level of influence within that.
Harmony With Your Surroundings
Your actions and intentions align with the environment for the benefit of everyone as you are aware of what your contribution is and how you can change that by showing kindness, compassion, self-reflection, awareness, and common sense.
Balancing Your Personal Needs
Your personal needs should be connected with others’ needs to foster healthy relationships.
You put your ego aside and do not work in the interests of just you.
You have your personal values that are essential, but you do not think that you are better than anyone else or that you have power over anyone.
Always Acting Compassionately
The physical expression you show with your spiritual intention is important.
You can show this through prayer, mentoring, practicing meditation, understanding people and their true self, expressing love and affection, and being close to nature.
Signs That Show You Have Spiritual Distress
If you think that you are experiencing distress in your life and it is linked to your spiritual health, then there are some signs that you will need to look out for and take note of so you know what could be causing them so you can make a change.
Loss of Direction
Did you have some sort of direction in your life, or you at least had a path laid out that you were happy with?
If you are feeling disconnected from that right now, then that can be a sign that you are not connected to your spiritual wellness as you once were.
Withdrawal From Family and Friends
You don’t want to speak to your friends or family much, or you don’t want to open up to them about how you are feeling about yourself or about others.
Anger at God/Higher Power
Losing your way can mean detaching yourself from something that gave you purpose before, this may mean pushing yourself from prayer, not going to church, or not practicing the things you did to connect with your ‘higher power’.
Things You Can Do For Spiritual Wellness
If you feel like you need to find your way again, there are some things that you can do to help your spiritual wellness and get yourself back on track so you feel like you are connected and thriving again.
Always remember that there are other people just like you who may be going through difficult times too, so it is worth it to reach out to them if you or they need support.
You can help each other through this rough time in your lives and potentially find a new path or get back on track with your old one.
- Find quiet time for yourself – This may mean meditating each day by finding a place where it is quiet and comfortable and just sitting there to destress and focus your mind again.
- Manifest what you want – Speaking out loud to the universe has helped people feel better about their situations and provide them with a clearer outlook. Whatever your intentions are, speak them out into the world and keep them alive in your head.
- Find something to believe in – Many people can go through life just wandering and trying to find out what they should do, so to help this along, find something that you can believe in that will drive you forward and aid you in seeing what is out in front of you.
- Ask yourself important questions – We all have questions we wish we knew the answers to, so if you take the time to ask yourself these questions you will be able to find the answers that connect with you and your journey. “What am I doing here?” “What does this all mean?” These are some of the biggest questions.
- Always be true to yourself – No matter what happens in life, always be true to who you are and what you want out of life. Living your most authentic self will be what you need to carry on and you won’t feel like you are living a phony or insincere life. It can help you be a better son, daughter, parent, teacher, mentor, etc., so it is worth it to be who you truly are.
Life has a way of showing us what we can be but letting us decide ourselves on how we get there.
It can be a hard road to walk down and many people will get disillusioned and diverted when they are on their path, but connecting to others as well as yourself will help you achieve what you need to, even if it is not what you thought you would achieve in your life.
Live for who you are and the person you want to become.
If you focus too much on what other people are doing and how they are able to live their lives, then you are distracting yourself from all you can do and your achievements.
Be kind to yourself and don’t expect to have all the answers, you never will be able to, but you may just be able to find the ones that keep you moving forward.